Name: Obed
Gender: Boy
Meaning: Servant, worshipper
Origin: Hebrew Categories: Biblical, Jewish
Pronunciation: (O bed)
In the Old Testament, Obed is the name of the grandfather of King David. http://www.babynamesworld.com/meaning_of_Obed.html
I don't understand why my simple name is sometimes mistakenly pronounce.It's obviously easier than Dalziel, Qayshon or Balthazar. But,
For Thai : Khun lobet
For Australian : Obet ( e like in emotion ) sound like "Obit"
For Chinese singaporean : Obek or worse oben ( e in america )
I wanna called Wilson ( Ben's brother )
Lady picked up the phone "Wei"
I reply " Hallo, afternoon auntie"
"Who calling ha?"
"Auntie, can I speak to .." before I finished my sentence
"Who ar u?"
"Obed's here"
"Oh ben - ben out"
"No no, this is obed, I want to speak to Wilson please auntie"
"Ben? Told you already, ben is out"
"Obed obed auntie - not ben"
"O ben - aiya, how many time told you hah! ben out. Come back after 5. You call later lor"
Click - she hang up the phone.
Hmmm,.. calling mobile phone is more expensive but definitely easier
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
hahaaa....seru pak seru!..
haha my poor boy, its hard for you to communicate with the older generation in Singapore as they tend to speak in their own dialects like hokkien, teochew, canto, hakka, etc.
its ok you will soon be able to converse in mandarin real soon!
alt obed is just 4 letters but trust me its not easy for them to prounce properly cause its a special name.
i be waiting for you to publish your own book about living in singapore~
yup i think u should publish ur own book about dealing with singaporeans too!
Post a Comment